I’ve been craving poached eggs lately but since I’m not eating grains or bread anymore I had to think of a new bed for them to nestle in. Here’s what I came up with and it is delicious:
KALE & SQUASH SAUTE
2 handfuls of chopped kale
3-4 medium shiitake mushrooms, diced
1 small garlic clove, diced
1/3 cup roasted winter squash*
pinch of salt
pinch of turmeric
pinch of paprika
1 Tbs soaked and dried pumpkin seeds
1 -2 poached eggs
1. Put 1 tsp. olive oil into saute pan over medium heat.
2. Add kale, mushrooms, garlic, squash, salt, turmeric, and paprika and saute.
3. If mixture begins to get dry or stick to pan add a Tablespoon or two of water at a time to help steam the mixture until cooked to preferred doneness. Just at the end of cooking add your pumpkin seeds and stir to combine.
4. Transfer kale mixture to plate, top with poached eggs, and season to taste.
* I roast 2-3 acorn or butternut squashes each Sunday. Then use them in recipes or just as a side dish throughout the week. The are a great source of vitamins, minerals, and complex carbohydrates.