SALMON & VEGETABLES en PAPILLOTE
By Elizabeth Roberts
Note: This is a very versatile recipe. You can change the type of fish and vegetables you use depending on what is fresh and in season. Vegetarian packets can also be easily prepared. Seasonings and oils are only limited by your imagination and taste buds. And the packets can be easily assembled ahead of time, refrigerated, and baked just before you would like to serve dinner.
4 – 3 oz. salmon fillets, skin removed
1 bunch rainbow chard, cleaned an cut into a chiffonade
1 cup carrots, cut into a fine julienne, or grated
1 cup green zucchini, cut into julienne
1 cup cremini or shiitake mushrooms, finely sliced
sea salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
1/4 cup olive oil
fresh dill fronds
1-2 lemons, washed and cut into 12 thin slices
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Cut 4 sheets of parchment paper into rectangles, about 16″ by 24″. Fold each sheet in half. Set aside.
3. Starting with one sheet of parchment paper, open it up and lay a bed of chard along the crease. Layer 1/4 cup of carrots, 1/4 cup of zucchini, and 1/4 cup of mushrooms on top of chard. Season vegetables with salt and pepper and 1/2 Tbs olive oil.
4. Place salmon fillet on top of vegetables and season with salt and pepper and 1/2 Tbs olive oil. Place a dill frond on fillet and layer 3 slices on top.
5. To close packet, fold parchment over ingredients. Starting at one corner roll or pleat the paper along the edge, leaving some room for the parchment to expand like a balloon. Continue folding until you reach the other corner – the packet will form a half-moon. Run your finger over the top of the pleats to tightly seal edges.
6. Place sealed packets onto a baking sheet.
7. Repeat steps 3-6 to make other packets.
8. Place baking sheet into oven and cook 12-15 minutes for a fillet 1″ thick.
9. Serve each package on a dinner plate and cut open with scissors allowing your guests to enjoy the aroma that escapes upon opening.