Adapted from Sally Fallon by Elizabeth Roberts
Note: This salsa is so delicious is won’t last long so make a bunch. In addition to being tasty is is also good for you because the fermentation process helps to make those good bugs called probiotics that make our digestive system happy.
2 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped – or -1 Tbl. dry Aleppo chili
1 cup cilantro, chopped
1 lemon, juiced
1 Tbs sea salt
1/4 cup water, filtered or distilled
1. Sterilize a pint size jar and lid
2. In a medium sized bowl, mix together all ingredients with your hands, gently squeezing juice from the tomatoes.
3. Spoon salsa into jar, lightly tamping down mixture with each addition.
4. Leave at least 1 inch of space between the salsa and top of the jar.
5. Add enough water to cover salsa mixture.
6. Cover jar lightly and leave at room temperature (between 65-75 degrees F) for 3 days. You should see bubbles by day 2. Then put into refrigerator.
7. Salsa is ready to eat immediately. Or, if you can wait a few days the flavors will develop further. Good luck with that. My hubby virtually stands by this stuff for 3 days asking if it’s ready yet.