LAMB & BUTTERNUT SQUASH TAGINE
By: Elizabeth A. Roberts
1 Tbs. coconut oil or ghee
1 red onion, cut into large cubes
1/2 butternut squash, seeded, and cubed
1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp. chinese 5-spice
1 1/2 lbs. Lamb shoulder cut into bite-sized cubes
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
2 cups broth
2 Tbs chopped sun-dried tomatoes
1 tsp. preserved lemon (optional) – or- juice from half of lemon
1/3 cup chopped Italian parsley
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Saute onion in coconut oil or ghee over medium heat for 5 minutes.
3. Add butternut squash along with 1 tsp. ground ginger and 1 tsp. 5-spice. Stir and saute another 2-3 minutes until spices are fragrant.
4. Put onion mixture into bottom of tagine.
5. Add half of cubed lamb to saute pan and brown. Remove to plate and add second half of lamb and brown. When browned add all lamb to pot and season with salt, pepper, and 1/2 tsp. of ground ginger and 1/2 tsp. of 5-spice. Stir to coat all lamb with spices.
6. Remove lamb to tagine.
7. De-glaze pan with broth. Stir to remove all the yummy brown bits from bottom of pan. Pour liquid over lamb and onion mixture in tagine.
8. Put tagine into preheated oven and cook for 1 1/2 hrs.
9. Remove from oven. Add sun-dried tomatoes and preserved lemon or lemon juice and cover. Let stand 10 minutes.
10. Serve and garnish with parsley.