This brunch treat was a nice break from my usual veggies with fish or legumes for breakfast yesterday. Since I’m now very sensitive to almond flour I’m not eating it anymore so I make a nut flour mix that works nicely. You can make a mix or use almond flour.
This recipe works well for waffles or pancakes.
NUT FLOUR WAFFLES
By: Elizabeth Roberts, Natural Foods Chef
Makes: 8-10 waffles or pancakes
1 organic egg
1/3 c. organic, unsweetened applesauce
½ cup unsweetened coconut milk or nut milk
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ cups nut flour of choice (walnut, pecan, almond, coconut) – I make a mixture of pecan and walnut
½ tsp sea salt
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp ground cinnamon
extra virgin coconut oil
1. Mix egg, applesauce, milk, and vanilla together.
2. In a separate bowl, combine nut flour, sea salt, baking soda, and cinnamon.
3. Add dry ingredients to wet and whisk until combined.
4. Coat skillet or waffle maker with a thin layer of coconut oil, heat over medium heat. Use ¼ cup batter for each pancake or waffle, smoothing out batter onto griddle. Cook 4-5 minutes, flip, press down, and cook another 2 minutes until cooked through.
5. Serve with fresh fruit, and warm honey or honey.